The redevelopment of the historic central terminal area in the heart of Boyertown has been a critical component of the Colebrookdale Railroad community and economic development project since its inception. The future of the railroad and its catalytic impact on southeastern Pennsylvania turns on the successful development of the terminal’s freight and passenger capacity.
With this mind, the Redevelopment Authority of the County of Berks, the Colebrookdale Railroad Preservation Trust, and the elected officials, municipalities, and entities below have partnered to seek funding for the Colebrookdale Multimodal Terminal.
- Senator John Rafferty, 44th District - Chairman of the Transportation Committee
- Senator Bob Mensch, 24th District - Chairman of the Legislative Budget and Finance Committee, Appropriations Committee
- Senator Pat Browne, 14th District - Chairman of the Appropriations Committee, Community Economic and Recreational Development Committee
- Rep. Jim Cox, 129th District
- Rep. Mark M. Gillen, 128th District
- Rep. Tim Hennessey, 26th District
- Rep. Jerry Knowles, 124th District - Transportation Committee
- Rep. Ryan Mackenzie, 134th District
- Rep. David Maloney, 130th District
- Rep. Thomas J. Quigley, 146th District
- Rep. Mark Rozzi, 126th District - Tourism and Recreation Development Committee
- Rep. Marcy Toepel, 29th District
- Rep. Barry Jozwiak, 5th District
- U.S. Congressman Ryan Costello
- U.S. Senator Robert Casey
- U.S. Senator Pat Toomey
- Commissioners of the County Of Berks
- Commissioners of the County Of Montgomery
- Redevelopment Authority of Montgomery County
- Redevelopment Authority of the County of Berks
- Planning Commission of the County Of Berks
- Borough of Pottstown, Montgomery County
- Borough of Boyertown, Berks County
- Pottstown Metropolitan Regional Planning Commission
- Berks County Community Foundation
- Montgomery County Community College
- Pottstown Area Regional Recreation Committee
- Tri-County Area Chamber Of Commerce
- Greater Reading Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Valley Forge Tourism and Convention Board
- Schuylkill River National and State Heritage Area
- Berks-Mont Business Association
- Building a Better Boyertown
- Pottstown (Montgomery County) Area Industrial Development Corporation
- Pottstown Downtown Improvement District Authority
- Eastern Berks Gateway Railroad
- Colebrookdale Railroad Preservation Trust
WE BELIEVE in the power of our communities to use the treasures of their past to secure a better future.
WE BELIEVE a new day is dawning for the Secret Valley Line and people of Berks and Montgomery Counties.
WE'RE ABOUT TO CHANGE THINGS. The Colebrookdale Railroad will provide jobs and a much-needed economic boost to our region. The Colebrookdale Railroad Tourist Railroad Project connects two counties, two boroughs, and thousands of people along a right-of-way with a storied past and vast potential for the future. Bringing 20,000-30,000 new visitors annually to the region, the Project will catalyze the good work the citizens in Pottstown, Boyertown, and Beyond have done over the past three decades to build local business, to preserve local heritage and culture, and to make Southeastern Pennsylvania a place worth investing in, working in, and calling home.
Economic Impact - Stone Consulting Report, March 2013
- 20,000-30,000 VISITORS ANNUALLY
- $1.8 million annual economic impact
- $980 from visitors
- $13 million economic impact of capital cost investment during implementation. Could be as high as $18.2 million with enhanced infrastructure and equipment program.
- Freight service keeps regional industries competitive and attracts new business and industry
- 370 new jobs through implementation phases
- 80 new, sustained jobs thereafter
- 15 additional jobs from freight service
Community Development Impact
Theme and catalyst for development of terminal areas. The railroad provides an aesthetic and cultural context for new business growth.
Mechanism For Visibility And Identity
Visitors will know our area from the experience they had here. Through telling our local story though an engaging and unique experience, we build a reputation that businesses can build on.
Enhance Existing Events/Attractions
There are many existing events and attractions in which to integrate the railroad in both Pottstown and Boyertown. The railroad will bring in additional participants/visitors and enhance the experience of these already-instituted events and attractions.
Armature For New Events And The Development Of New Attractions
There are many events centered on the railroad itself that will bring people to Pottstown and Boyertown. Increased demand will lead to development of new attractions and amenities.
Mechanism For Fundraising
Special charters and special events around the railroad can serve as a means to raise funds for good causes.
Opportunity To Embrace Rather Than Merely Accommodate
- Persons with physical and/or cognitive disabilities
- Persons in the upper age cohorts
- Domestic non-speakers of English
- International tourists
- Special event venue seekers